From: Kevin Westley <IrishDJKevin@msn.com>
Unfortunately, the offensive Irish drinking stereotype shirts were back at Walmart and Amazon this year. Kevin Westley posted on Facebook and by email to IFHF:
In 2016, 2017 local Walmart stores did not sell any offensive stereotypical drinking T shirts for St. Patrick’s Day. Unfortunately, the Walmart website was selling offensive drinking Irish stereotype shirts for 2018 . Walmart was contacted and the response was very positive:
Irish commend Walmart for ditching offensive St. Patrick’s Day t-shirts Irish Central
All stereotypes are bad, regardless what group they demean. Think of the thousands of job or housing opportunities have been lost because of them.
If you come across other retailers are offering offensive merchandise:
Ask to speak to the owner, manager or customer service representative.
- Explain that St. Patrick’s Day is a holy day in Ireland. Ask if they would sell offensive stereotypical T shirts for Dr. King Day, Puerto Rican Day, St. Joseph’s Day, etc.
- Let them know that you find the merchandise offensive and politely ask them to remove them.
- If they refuse, ask to see the return policy.
- Consider purchasing some and pay for it via charge card.
- Return the merchandise on March 18 for a full refund.
- Boycott that store for the month of March in honor of St. Patrick.
For further information contact:
Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.
Commodore John Barry, Div. 11
Ancient Order of Hibernians